Archeology Uncovered

Ku-wait. Arche-ology. Not many think they mix, but they do - sometimes overwhelmingly. I work at the National Museum in the Archeology Department. Here are my ongoings... [email me at ArcheologyUncovered [at] gmail [dot] com ]

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuwait

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Accomplishments

I was upstairs working on some stuff in the wersha when Purple Elephant walked in and said that we had to write (the correct term escapes me now) something that discusses our accomplishments thus far.

So, I wrote out the following (but in Arabic, of course):

...........................................
My name
Employee since 29th April 2006
Munassiq Idari wa Mu3amalat (this is the official title that everyone gets when they first work here. My un official title is Ba7ith Athaar- Archeologist :D)


Please find the following to be my accomplishments since I’ve been employed at KNM:

Fully completed tasks:
1- helped and finished number, clean, and organize the maps in the Archeology department’s “library” (lol)
2- Continued translation and revision of Sultan Al-Duwish’s “Kathemat Al-Buhoor” from Arabic to English
3- Fakhar (which is ceramics, but the way they use it here is to include everything else) Course, where I cleaned, conserved, and cleaned artifacts from Tell Bhaita with (…) [Report Submitted]
4- Photography Conservation, where along (…another chick…) we cleaned, restored, and wrapped old photographs/framed photographs [Report Submitted]
5- Fakhar Numbering Course, where alongside Clueless Boy, I numbered artifacts from Tell Bhaita

Current/Ongoing tasks:
1- Conservation of artifacts from Akkaz (Umm el Namil, 2001 excavation)
................................


You know, I’m pretty happy with myself.
Now if only Head Boss Man and Big Boss Man recognize that all Purple/Clueless can truthfully say is: “figured out a way to do absolutely nothing, sleep on the couches, and collect our paychecks; all while complaining that there is nothing to do”


Meh.




And now, for pictures, becuase they make me smile :D

This is basically the corner in the "library" that has all these artifacts from Akkaz that have no place else to go. Some of them (ie: the big interesting ones) have been completed by Bu A7med.
I grabbed those small bags on the right and attempted to keep myself entertained.




I did those two in the middle, along with other random ones that don't show here.
They're quite big, and in my opinion they are two sides of a water jug. However, i can't find the rest, so whatever :(
I just glue away, not really caring that this is just going to get discarded



And yet another reason i love this job, but hate it at the same time.

You direct your hands to the little pile of smaller shards that will connect your two big ones, and just as you begin to feel and study the edges, while precariously balancing the bigger pieces, you see your own fingers grab a large dead fly. Eww.



A dead fly is nothing wow, i know. But it cracks me up to think that i never learn to wear gloves, especially when i'm dealing with 'fresh' (uncleaned/untouched) bags. But hey, a fly is better than the numerous smelly bones i had to deal with! Oh, not to mention the snake heads, beetle, and crickets i've handled.

:D

A glorious day to you, my friends :)

2 Comments:

Blogger K.thekuwaiti said...

The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy not from its carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes like this:


`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Archeology Uncovered said...

Two coffee's, one glass-cheese sandwich, two panadol acti-fast pills, and two re-reads of your comment still leaves me debating whether that was inspired by genius or simply early signs of schizophrenia.

And i'm not even kidding.

However, man proving that black is white left me snorting my approval at your comedic timing.

And i'm rambling becuase my head is making funny clicking noises.

You are Apple Face.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home