Archeology Uncovered

Ku-wait. Arche-ology. Not many think they mix, but they do - sometimes overwhelmingly. I work at the National Museum in the Archeology Department. Here are my ongoings... [email me at ArcheologyUncovered [at] gmail [dot] com ]

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuwait

Monday, January 29, 2007

So,
Funny how things work out in the end, innit?

When I had last left you, I was nervously twitching, being certain that I would run out of laptop power, that my internet would expire, or that I would simply plop off and die.

About twenty minutes after that, Bu A7med walked in (surprise!), and told me that he’s here to take Clueless (who was in Oman for a month-long excavation) to the new site in Subbiya.

I stared.

He invited me along.

Yippeeeeeee!

After pumping gas (they take k-net, but only if you hadn’t used it in the last 24 hours. And no, I don’t know why either), following Bu A7med and Clueless in a small white car, and cursing him every time he swerved into a road without putting his signal on, we got on the highway.

Jahra, Road 80.
Past Amghara.
Past Doha.
Past the developing residential areas called Jabir el Ahmed and Sa3ad el 3abdullah.
Past signs that read (ß Saudi Arabia. à Iraq).
Past cars that didn’t occupy female drivers.
Past MTC Towers that dropped my call to Best Friend as she said, ‘please be careful, and don’t get lost!’
Past, past, past,
Until I realized it took me half an hour, going like, less than the posted speed limit, and with pumping both cars with gas.
And here I had hoped that the little trip would have been considered ‘safar’, and that I could have broken my fast :p

The ‘site’ turned out to be the renovated school that we’re going to be using as the ‘conservation lab’.
Pictures of the building will come.
Pictures of the actual site, which is actually half an hour drive extra, will also come (inshallahinshallahinshallah).

What’s funny about this whole 9abbiya thing is that some of the archeologists are actually, and had actually, spent their nights at the renovated school, which provided them with the top floor. It boasted a couple of room, a diwaniya of sorts, and a large conservation room.

It has previously housed the British archeological team, as the boxes and files indicated. It was actually quite neat and such.
Apparently, the British and French teams stayed at this school/house.
They apparently walked to the souk, after checking out the neighbourhood from the rooftop.
They apparently made teenage friends who showed them the internet cafes.
They apparently hadn’t been back in two years.
I wonder why.

The school is nice, though. The guy in charge of it was very polite and helpful. He had a blue-striped undershirt beneath his dark dishdasha. And cuff links.

OH NO!
MORE LATER!
LOW BATTERY WARNING!
AAAAAAAND I HAVE TO CONNECT TO THE INNERNET TO POST THIS!
(but mmm! The burgers I cooked last night were awesome.)
Later dudes!
:D

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger K.thekuwaiti said...

I love my bitch .. I love you baby.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Hey, what happened with Dar and AUK.
Do fill us in!
:>

12:54 AM  
Blogger Archeology Uncovered said...

K:
busta rhymes and gabrielle union?

DR:
meh. ana khal adri 3ashan intaw tadroon :p
bes agoolikum inshallah :D
yay!
thanks for the concern :)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home