Makhzan Seb3a
And so,
housewifes, bankers, investors, bankers, financial analysts, and bankers, please let me know how your work day went.
First,
Let me just make this one thing crystal clear: your job, no matter how amazing (ie: my friend just worked on the team that's building Showbiz, another just made 15million for his dad, and another is responsible for the personal fortune of the Emir), your job will not be as cool as mine.
I honestly do not know why there arn't enough people working here. It's only like, the coolest job ev.er.
Anyways.
Let me tell you why:
So i walk to Storage 7, where i used to piece the artifacts together, remember? I havn't been there in a month, considering i'm up here numbering.
Anywho,
so they changed it.
But it wasn't the usual rooms that i was working in (bu a7med still hadn't told me what i'd be doing).
It was upstairs,
in the actual storage.
I'd always wander up there sometimes,
with my hands in my pockets,
afraid to touch anything.
I'd slink away,
try to go unnoticed,
so i can walk the aisles unbothered.
I'd never touch anything,
i'd simply strech to peak.
Most of the time i'd blow the dust off of the description papers so i can read more about that particular item.
But i'd never dare to touch anything,
although it's very tempting, considering most of the stuff are right there on the imposing shelves.
So i never did touch anything,
but today;
today i touched.
I was called in to fix some problems that had arisen during 'tarmeem', in which old pieces that were going to be documented and photographed again were broken.
They were huge mothers, and the guy in charge will be taking a month long vacation starting Saturday.
So he gave me a 'baby' project, before i dealt with the real gems.
Oh,
i'm sorry,
did i forget to mention that these were artifacts that are being ready for display, after they've were stolen, broken, and returned by the Iraqi's?
did i forget to mention that these are the same artifacts that will only now be displayed to the public for the first time since the invasion?
and i'm guessing that you've already figured out that yours truely will be the one preparing them.
My God, i love my job!
Anywho,
so after i do my thang,
i walk around,
and this time,
i takey da picture.
(and yes, i've already asked permission if that was cool).
BEHOLD!

this face is part of a statue made from terracotta, comprable to faces found in the Indus Valley.
But that's so boring, psh.

Sword, which holds inscriptions on both sides, in an alphabet i am unable to comprehend. I think it had an 's' and 'n' shape. The other side of it had more writing, but with a rose/heart surrounding it.

Assyrian coins, during the time of 3ashur. The one on the right is probably 7anballi, but he wasn't sure.
btw: the above pictures had no descriptions becuase they were being photographed.

Initially, i had saw the picture before the actual figure. I honestly thought that we had this someplace. Like, a full human-sized statue.
But i'll deal with the fact that it's tiny :p
btw: Hellenistic terracotta figure of Alexander.
And,
becuase Hellenistic archeology is a huge part of our archeological history, here are some tetradrachma's, with Alex's face on them.
btw: he was apparently gross-looking :p
Those were the items directly around me.
I went in search of other things,
and found boring objects from the Iron Age, 5th Millenia BC, and pre-islamic, among others.
I would've taken pictures of other things, but i didn't want to feel like an artifact stalker.
Becuase if there's one thing that inanimate objects hate, it's someone oogling them.
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh,
man, i LOVE my job!
So,
what'd you do today?
housewifes, bankers, investors, bankers, financial analysts, and bankers, please let me know how your work day went.
First,
Let me just make this one thing crystal clear: your job, no matter how amazing (ie: my friend just worked on the team that's building Showbiz, another just made 15million for his dad, and another is responsible for the personal fortune of the Emir), your job will not be as cool as mine.
I honestly do not know why there arn't enough people working here. It's only like, the coolest job ev.er.
Anyways.
Let me tell you why:
So i walk to Storage 7, where i used to piece the artifacts together, remember? I havn't been there in a month, considering i'm up here numbering.
Anywho,
so they changed it.
But it wasn't the usual rooms that i was working in (bu a7med still hadn't told me what i'd be doing).
It was upstairs,
in the actual storage.
I'd always wander up there sometimes,
with my hands in my pockets,
afraid to touch anything.
I'd slink away,
try to go unnoticed,
so i can walk the aisles unbothered.
I'd never touch anything,
i'd simply strech to peak.
Most of the time i'd blow the dust off of the description papers so i can read more about that particular item.
But i'd never dare to touch anything,
although it's very tempting, considering most of the stuff are right there on the imposing shelves.
So i never did touch anything,
but today;
today i touched.
I was called in to fix some problems that had arisen during 'tarmeem', in which old pieces that were going to be documented and photographed again were broken.
They were huge mothers, and the guy in charge will be taking a month long vacation starting Saturday.
So he gave me a 'baby' project, before i dealt with the real gems.
Oh,
i'm sorry,
did i forget to mention that these were artifacts that are being ready for display, after they've were stolen, broken, and returned by the Iraqi's?
did i forget to mention that these are the same artifacts that will only now be displayed to the public for the first time since the invasion?
and i'm guessing that you've already figured out that yours truely will be the one preparing them.
My God, i love my job!
Anywho,
so after i do my thang,
i walk around,
and this time,
i takey da picture.
(and yes, i've already asked permission if that was cool).
BEHOLD!

this face is part of a statue made from terracotta, comprable to faces found in the Indus Valley.
But that's so boring, psh.

Sword, which holds inscriptions on both sides, in an alphabet i am unable to comprehend. I think it had an 's' and 'n' shape. The other side of it had more writing, but with a rose/heart surrounding it.

Assyrian coins, during the time of 3ashur. The one on the right is probably 7anballi, but he wasn't sure.
btw: the above pictures had no descriptions becuase they were being photographed.

Initially, i had saw the picture before the actual figure. I honestly thought that we had this someplace. Like, a full human-sized statue.
But i'll deal with the fact that it's tiny :p
btw: Hellenistic terracotta figure of Alexander.
And,becuase Hellenistic archeology is a huge part of our archeological history, here are some tetradrachma's, with Alex's face on them.
btw: he was apparently gross-looking :p
Those were the items directly around me.
I went in search of other things,
and found boring objects from the Iron Age, 5th Millenia BC, and pre-islamic, among others.
I would've taken pictures of other things, but i didn't want to feel like an artifact stalker.
Becuase if there's one thing that inanimate objects hate, it's someone oogling them.
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh,
man, i LOVE my job!
So,
what'd you do today?


4 Comments:
wow!
thats cool! My day is ok, i work in finance so perhaps not as culturally rich as your line of work! The english archeologist who was working on Failaka and stuff was around my friends house a while ago for dinner....
:)
Neat! :D
Entrepreneur (wait, isn't that misspelt? lol '3adi 3adi killu 3adi') :p
finance *yawn* :p
yeah we have a British archeology team that works with our department, and they go way back, like, 1950's back.
word.
3baid, the fact that you dig what i do makes me want to know what YOU do :D
Today I was lazy......I rock :)
BTW:- Alexander? ugly? uh uh....that isn't what I heard...Oh wait...DOH! that was the film troy....nevermind.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home